I've been reminiscing today about this date 18 years ago. I had just started my senior year at BYU, getting ready to do my student teaching. I was living in an apartment just off campus (called Courtside Apartments) with 3 other girls. My good friend Michelle was dating a guy named Mike, who was living in some apartments south of campus (called Miller Apts.) with 5 other guys.
One day Michelle told me that she wanted to set me up on a date with one of Mike's roommates. She said he was a neat guy and thought I would have a lot in common with him. His name was Brian and he was from Wyoming. I was happy to go along with this plan -- I really didn't date that much so the thought of a date -- even if it was a "blind date" -- was pretty exciting to me.
Michelle & Mike planned the date -- it ended up being a group date with them, Brian and me and my roommate Heidi (who also got set up on a blind date with Brian's friend Ed). Heidi and I were both pretty excited that day. Here I am just before the big date:
(I borrowed the sweater from Heidi, and you might notice I'm wearing earrings. I almost never wear earrings, since my ears aren't pierced and those clip-on kind really hurt after awhile!)First we went to a BYU Women's Volleyball game. I think that is probably the only volleyball game I have ever been to. It was a lot of fun to watch, and it was even more fun to get to know Brian a little better. I learned that he grew up on a dairy farm with 8 kids in his family and remember being impressed that he did well academically and knew how to play the violin.
After the game, we went over to the Wilkinson Center. We had planned to go bowling, but found out there was a very long wait, so instead we went to see the movie "Short Time" at the Varsity Theater there. (And in case you're wondering, I didn't remember the name of the movie or the long-wait-at-bowling part -- I looked it up in my journal just now!)
We enjoyed each other's company that evening and I remember wondering what he thought of me. I read in my journal how the next week or so, I came home from class and Heidi was practically bouncing off the walls with the news that Brian had called earlier that day. He called again and asked me on a bowling date (doubling with Mike & Michelle). Brian and I continued to date. This is the first picture I have of him -- this was taken in December 1990:

(He almost forbade me to post this picture... I think he's cute, big glasses and all.)
We got engaged in March of 1991 (Brian took me to dinner in Salt Lake and proposed on Temple Square) and got married on August 2, 1991 in the Los Angeles Temple.
And the rest, as they say, is history!
P.S. Mike & Michelle ended up getting married as well, but things didn't work out so well for Heidi & Ed. :-)
2 comments:
Wow, 18 years ago. You look so young in that picture and so does Brian, but you guys look cute together and you still do to this day. Sometimes I also have to look things up in my journal to see what happened on a certain day. I guess that is one good thing about having a journal.
heartwarming. i love this story!
Post a Comment