I thought it was time to give a little progress report on the windmill project. Brian's parents have been here the last two weeks (they just left yesterday) so his dad could work more on the windmill. It has turned into quite a big project (as usual)!
There has been lots and lots of welding, steel cutting and grinding, searching the salvage yard for pipes, ordering special bolts, etc.
They attached the hydraulic rams briefly in the shop to make sure it all fit together.
This is the bottom section (on its side) with some big bolts they had to have specially made.
On Friday, they moved the two big pieces out of the shop. This is the support section:
And this is the main center tower minus the top section (Brian had to provide some counterweight on one end as they moved it).
On Saturday morning, while I was gone to a Primary meeting, they used a rented extending fork lift to raise the support poles into the previously anchored base piece.
They decided to wait until the concrete was poured before trying to set the center tower into position. This is what is in the hole -- the concrete will fill up to the base plate.
Unfortunately, we ran out of time and Brian's parents needed to go back home. I'm not sure how much Brian will get done on his own, but we'll keep plugging away!
2 comments:
That's an impressive windmill. I didn't realize that it was going to be so big. Brian is a little smarty pants building stuff like that.
You guys are so ambitious! I'm so impressed by all your projects. I'm just trying to keep on top of my messy house and that is hard.
Post a Comment