Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Moth Invasion

People tell us it's what happens in Amarillo this time of year -- the moth invasion. We have been inundated with these ugly little moths flying all around our windows and lights (and later lying dead all over the house). Yuck. At least they're not as bad as the little flying ants we had last summer (and I really hope those don't come back this year).

We've wondered if we have a higher-than-normal occurrence of moths because of our upstairs addition having open windows for quite a while. (We did finally get windows put in -- hooray!) And the moths seems to be especially prevelant in the upstairs, unfinished area.

Brian went up there the other night and found them just swarming around an attic light that had been left on. He sprayed a bunch of bug spray in there and I took a picture the next day:


The kids took some friends upstairs to show them the place and they got sidetracked by all the moths in the windows.


Here is Hayley trying to catch one:


Got it!


Personally, I prefer to swat and smush them rather than catch them. My girls, however, have no qualms snatching them up in their little fists. And Brian and I got so desperate one evening we pulled out the vacuum cleaner and tried sucking them up out of the air from around the lights and windows. Needless to say, this proved a more difficult task than you might imagine (but we did get quite a few!).

I'm noticing tonight that they seem a little less prevelant (although I can see about 6 dead ones on the floor from where I sit and I vacuumed this morning). So I'm hoping that this little moth "phase" is about over with!

1 comment:

noelle said...

woah! this is serious. you're a good lady, gayle. a good lady.