Monday, May 16, 2011

Outdoor Ed

Last week, Hannah was able to go with the rest of the 4th graders to Outdoor Education -- a 3-day, 2-night camp sponsored by the school. McKay did this two years ago and while there is a part of me that is hesitant about sending my 10-year-old away on a school trip like this for 2 nights, I knew what to expect and I know the teachers and other school staff well enough that I was comfortable with sending her. Plus, she was SO excited!

Outdoor Ed is held at Ceta Canyon (about 45 minutes away) at a facility that is run by a Methodist church (I think) and is used for lots of camps, retreats, youth conferences, etc. They have a cafeteria and cabins with bunk beds and pretty good facilities.

They have a "parent night" on the second night of the camp where parents are invited to come and see the kids perform skits. McKay and I went down (since he had already been to Outdoor Ed, it was okay for him to go -- they discourage the younger ones from coming as to not ruin any of the "surprises" for when they are in 4th grade).

We found Hannah in high spirits, wearing her tie-dyed T-shirt and proudly sporting her bandana identifying her as a member of the "Yellow" team.

The kids are split up into groups of about 8 during the day with an adult leader -- they stay with this group for all of their daytime activities and classes. Each group has an identifying color and they come up with a group name, cheer, flag, skit, etc. Here is Hannah with her Yellow Yaks team flag:


Hannah and McKay (he's getting so tall!):

Hannah and me:

Hannah's group doing their cheer before they performed their lawn mower skit.

Hannah showing us her sleeping area:

McKay and Hannah near the sleeping areas just before McKay and I left to go home.
When I picked Hannah up on Friday afternoon, she was sunburned and very tired, but told us she had a fantastic time.

No comments: