Wow, I've gotten way behind on blogging! I can't believe that it will be July in just a couple of days -- the summer will be gone before I know it.
I'll try to do a quick catch-up and then post some other posts with pictures.
School got out the end of May. My dad made a quick visit in May and was able to be here for McKay's Spring Band Concert, where McKay received the "Outstanding Brass" award. McKay got a new trigger trombone right after school was out, so I hope he keeps up with his practicing. I am considering getting him in private lessons in the fall, depending on how much they cost and how far we'd have to drive (from what I know right now, our best chances are probably going to be finding someone down at West Texas A&M in Canyon).

Speaking of McKay, remember how he was in the state compeition for the National Geography Bee? The national competition was held in Washington DC the end of June and we found out that the kid from Texas won! We knew McKay had some tough competition!
On the last day of school, I also decided to turn in the paperwork to be a substitute teacher next year (for either the elementary or the middle school). It's something I've thought about doing, so I thought I might as well ast least try it since that's where my kids are. I had to get fingerprinted as part of the process but everything should be all set for the fall.
My parents and brother Tyler came for a 10-day visit the first part of June. It is always a big adventure for them to travel anywhere! We enjoyed having them here and even managed to take a couple of outings with them (pictures coming in future posts). The kids spent a lot of time playing over at their house.

The weather here in Amarillo this summer has been HOT and DRY. We've had record-breaking temperatures -- multiple days between 105-110 degrees (and when the wind blows, that is a HOT wind!). We're also in an extreme drought right now -- we've had only a tiny amount of rain all year. A few weekends ago there was a big wildfire only a few miles from our house. We could see lots of smoke from our patio and it was a little scary! The fire got pretty close to our chuch building and several families in our ward had to be evacuated. Several homes were totally destroyed. They have canceled and banned all fireworks this summer and I really hope people listen and don't light them anyway.

June has also meant swimming lessons for the girls. I signed them up for two back-to-back sessions (2 weeks each). We'll be gone for a good chunk of July, so we had to get lessons started right after school was out. They seem to be enjoying it -- Hannah and Courtney are in the same class this year and are having fun with that (pictures coming here too!)

We have been making progress on our upstairs addition -- in fact, the kids are sleeping up there now! (Except for McKay, who is at Scout Camp right now, but I'm sure he'll be up there as soon as he gets home.) We got the painting, plumbing and electrical work done and this past weekend we got most of the carpet put in (except for the stairs). The furniture's not moved yet -- only mattresses on the floor -- and there are several other things that need to be finished, but it's livable! Hooray!

That's all for now -- I have lots of pictures to share and will try to get those up soon!
I'll try to do a quick catch-up and then post some other posts with pictures.
School got out the end of May. My dad made a quick visit in May and was able to be here for McKay's Spring Band Concert, where McKay received the "Outstanding Brass" award. McKay got a new trigger trombone right after school was out, so I hope he keeps up with his practicing. I am considering getting him in private lessons in the fall, depending on how much they cost and how far we'd have to drive (from what I know right now, our best chances are probably going to be finding someone down at West Texas A&M in Canyon).
Speaking of McKay, remember how he was in the state compeition for the National Geography Bee? The national competition was held in Washington DC the end of June and we found out that the kid from Texas won! We knew McKay had some tough competition!
On the last day of school, I also decided to turn in the paperwork to be a substitute teacher next year (for either the elementary or the middle school). It's something I've thought about doing, so I thought I might as well ast least try it since that's where my kids are. I had to get fingerprinted as part of the process but everything should be all set for the fall.
My parents and brother Tyler came for a 10-day visit the first part of June. It is always a big adventure for them to travel anywhere! We enjoyed having them here and even managed to take a couple of outings with them (pictures coming in future posts). The kids spent a lot of time playing over at their house.
The weather here in Amarillo this summer has been HOT and DRY. We've had record-breaking temperatures -- multiple days between 105-110 degrees (and when the wind blows, that is a HOT wind!). We're also in an extreme drought right now -- we've had only a tiny amount of rain all year. A few weekends ago there was a big wildfire only a few miles from our house. We could see lots of smoke from our patio and it was a little scary! The fire got pretty close to our chuch building and several families in our ward had to be evacuated. Several homes were totally destroyed. They have canceled and banned all fireworks this summer and I really hope people listen and don't light them anyway.
June has also meant swimming lessons for the girls. I signed them up for two back-to-back sessions (2 weeks each). We'll be gone for a good chunk of July, so we had to get lessons started right after school was out. They seem to be enjoying it -- Hannah and Courtney are in the same class this year and are having fun with that (pictures coming here too!)
We have been making progress on our upstairs addition -- in fact, the kids are sleeping up there now! (Except for McKay, who is at Scout Camp right now, but I'm sure he'll be up there as soon as he gets home.) We got the painting, plumbing and electrical work done and this past weekend we got most of the carpet put in (except for the stairs). The furniture's not moved yet -- only mattresses on the floor -- and there are several other things that need to be finished, but it's livable! Hooray!
That's all for now -- I have lots of pictures to share and will try to get those up soon!
No comments:
Post a Comment