Monday, June 23, 2008

Rainbow Beauty

Tonight I was putting the kids to bed and noticed that the lighting outside seemed a little different than usual, so I peeked out of the blinds and saw a beautiful, bright double rainbow! I got so excited and told the kids and ran to grab my camera (although pictures can never do a rainbow justice -- the colors were much prettier in person!).


When we got outside, we realized that it was a full double rainbow -- we could see the complete arches! My camera lens wasn't wide enough to get it all in one shot, but here is the other side:


And the neatest part was that it seemed to be framing our view of downtown Amarillo (although you couldn't see it that great because of the clouds).

The kids were thrilled -- I don't know if they've ever really seen a rainbow before. McKay kept saying over and over again how it was so "rare" to see a full double rainbow and Hannah made the comment that "We don't live in tornado valley, we live in rainbow valley!"

As a P.S. to this post, the rainbow got me reminiscing a little about how I used to "collect" rainbow things. When I was about 12 or so, I decided I needed to collect something and have something that was my "favorite," so I chose rainbows. I would look for things with rainbows on them and I made a huge paper rainbow (colored with markers) to hang on the wall above my bed. I still have a special place in my heart for rainbows!

3 comments:

Amy said...

That is so beautiful! We had a double rainbow here last week, but our view is always blocked by all the houses around us so we can never see the whole thing from here... you have an awesome view!

I had forgotten all about your thing for rainbows until you mentioned it!

Sandra said...

I had forgotten about the rainbow thing, too....do you still have boxes of stuff at "home" in the attic? If you do, I bet you probably have some rainbow stuff!

goldmania said...

Wow, that must have been so neat! You'll have to frame that. My husband wants to frame every picture we have, and in an 11x20 too! I told him we can't have ALL our pictures that big. Sounds like it's a whole new world out there for ya.