Saturday, November 15, 2008

Fairy Princess Party

Today was Courtney's 6th birthday party. Her actual birthday isn't until Tuesday, but the party was today. We let the kids have parties with friends every-other-year, so this was a party year for her. She was so excited!

We decided to invite only a few girls from church and school and make it a fairy princess party. As the girls were arriving, we had some princess coloring pages on the table and I went around and painted everyone's fingernails (those that wanted it). Then the girls made a wand from a craft foam kit and got to decorate with sparkly, glitter glue.


I made a bunch of tu-tus out of tulle for the party. A few weeks at at Stake RS Enrichment, I did a class to make one of these tu-tus and when I saw how easy they were, I thought it would be fun for her party as the "take-home" gift. So I ordered a bunch of tulle, cut it in strips and tied them around some elastic. I was a little worried about girls fighting over the different colors, but thankfully we didn't have any issues.

Here are the fairy princesses at the party today:




Then we cranked up the classical and they danced around the living room!


McKay deicded he needed to get in on the action too (crazy kid -- at first he put the tu-tu on over his waist, but I told him he was going to stretch it to much, so this is how he ended up):


After dancing, we had a little finger-foods lunch and I read the girls the story of The Princess and the Pea. We played a game where we would send one girl out of the room and then hide a green rubber ball under one of four pillows on the floor. We'd call the girl back in and she would have to sit/kneel on each pillow and decide which one had the "pea" under it.

Then it's time for cupcakes (chocolate, of course)...


and presents!



I think all the girls had fun. I did too, but I'm sure glad it's over!

3 comments:

Eliza said...

Gayle,

Brooke had a fabulous time. I got the full report from her and I must tell you that she was most excited and eager to tell me about McKay dressing in a tutu. That seems to have made a big impression on her. She thought "he was soooooo funny."

Ashley said...

The tutus are such a CUTE idea! Got any ideas for an 8th Birthday party for a boy?? My boys have never had a "party" because I'm way too freaked out about the idea. But, I promised Aidan he could have a party and now I'm stressing as to what to do.

noelle said...

too cute! i love that tu-tu idea!