Sunday, April 12, 2009

What Next?

I guess it's time for the latest damage report. (Sigh.)

We've had a couple more days of pretty ferocious wind. Last Thursday, the wind was howling away again and Brian headed back up on the roof to try to save more shingles from flying off. I heard the nail gun going for a while, but then I heard a big thud. That didn't sound right, so I hurried outside and ran as fast as I could around to where Brian was (and the wind was trying to blow me the opposite direction, so it was hard to go fast!).

I looked up and saw Brian hanging on to a big chunk of something -- I didn't know what it was at first. He hollered down that it was part of the chimney and that it had glanced off his back as it fell. He was able to tie a rope around it and we lowered it down along the ladder.

Here is a picture of the chimney "before," just after we lost some shingles on that section:


And here is the chimney "after," when Brian was covering up the damaged area with some plastic because the rain was coming:


And this is the piece that fell off (I put Hayley in the picture to get a better idea of how big it is):


It's mostly concrete and quite heavy! Brian thinks that the mortar was just old and loose and so the strong winds were able to knock it off.

As I mentioned, we also had some rain -- our first real thunderstorm since we started this project. It rained pretty hard yesterday and we even had some small hail for a short time. There was only one section of leaks (which Brian wasn't surprised by) -- where the old roof meets the new roof and hadn't been completely sealed yet. But I don't think we had too much water damage from that.

I think we're all wondering now, "what next?" Personally, I'm hoping for some sunny, calm days!

2 comments:

Julie said...

holy cow! that "glanced" off his back?!?! I'm surprised it didn't take him out! I hope you guys don't have anymore house "surprises"!

Melissa Oman said...

Oh man. I hope you guys get it done soon. It does not sound like very much fun. It makes some great stories though!!