McKay and Hannah were old enough to go down the slide by themselves this year -- they went up the lift like troopers! Hannah was a bit slow coming down the first time, but she said it wasn't scary. They each got to take 3 rides down.
Courtney and Hayley each had one ride down with me and one with Brian. Poor Courtney discovered she is a little scared of heights! (At least on chair lifts!) She was holding on to that chair with all her might and wouldn't even turn her head to look back and wave goodbye to everyone.
But she didn't get scared riding down and liked going as fast as possible. Hayley also had fun.
I'm not sure what the girls are discussing here as Courtney got off her ride (maybe Courtney is explaining just how awesome it was or telling her about the chipmunks we saw on the way...), but I just loved this picture -- I hope my girls are able to always be friends with each other!
After our rides down the slide, we took a ride up on the larger scenic chair lift. This lift goes a lot further up the mountain and lets you off to hike or walk around as long as you like before you ride it back down.
I rode with Courtney and McKay going up, and she was trying so hard to be brave, but you could tell she was still really scared of that chair lift!
We took my nephew Kent's wheelchair up with us -- they attached it to the back of one of the chairs (people also take their bikes up the lift and then ride them back down the mountain).
Pretty scenery on the way up!
At the top we got off to walk around a bit. Lots of pretty wildflowers and pretty views!
We took family pictures at one of the scenic overlook areas.
We didn't stay long at the top because the kids were tired (of course) and plus we were cold! (Well, okay, maybe Brian wasn't cold but the rest of us were.) I think we were able the only people there without sweatshirts or jackets. Honestly I didn't even think about packing jackets back in hot Texas! But we definitely could have used them up at the top of the mountain that morning. I rode back down with Courtney and Hannah. Courtney wasn't quite as scared coming down as going up, but you can tell she was still a little bit nervous!
The worst part was getting off the chair and getting out of the way before it knocked you over.
Before we left, the kids begged us to let them do the "human maze." They got their punch cards and clocked in their starting time...
...then they were off through the maze trying to find the four different letter punches (they spelled MAZE) before finding the exit.
Here's McKay going up some stairs to the letter M punch.
McKay was the first one of the kids out in a time of about 9 minutes. He followed Brian's advice of always turning to the right and eventually finding your way through the maze. The girls took a bit longer but made it out eventually too!
This was a busy day, but a fun one! The rest of the week was more relaxed -- I think I'll do one more post about the rest of our vacation.
2 comments:
Those slides are awesome! Looks like so much fun!!
This is just gorgeous! I better not show Dan - he's convinced that colorado is the place we need to live. I'm not so sure, but these pictures sure make me think twice about it.
Post a Comment