Monday, March 8, 2010

Training, Week 1

So this morning I completed my first session of Week 1 in the "Couch to 5K" training program.

At times I think I am totally nuts.

Not only am I training to run a 5K, but that 5K is part of a triathlon that involves swimming for 1/2 mile and biking for 18 miles.

Really I must be nuts.

Somehow my little sister Amy convinced me to participate in the Iron-Girl Triathlon with her that will be held in Las Vegas in May (since she is expecting a baby and we needs lots of time to get ready, we are waiting until 2011). My older sister Sandra is nuts like me and she and her daughter are also going to participate with us.

But, maybe I am not nuts (at least that is what I keep telling myself). Maybe I CAN do this, even though I never in my life thought I would. Amy is my biggest inspiration, since she has been more like me in the past (never thinking we would ever actually enjoy running), yet she set some amazing goals for herself this past year, like running a 10K and a half-marathon, and has accomplished them all with flying colors. So I keep telling myself, if she can do it, then so can I!

I'm thinking I should be starting out with just a simple 5K instead of this triathlon stuff, but I guess we'll go for the big bang. I am an okay swimmer and probably a passable bike-rider (I don't know about 18 miles...), but I have never considered myself to be a runner. I have always strongly disliked running -- was always the last kid in PE to finish the mile, etc. etc. So that's why I kind of surprised myself when I agreed to do this.

BUT, having said all that, I am posting this to my blog to say that I AM COMMITTED to doing this (it always helps to put it in writing!) and that at times I am actually kind of excited too (when I'm not feeling completely overwhelmed).

So I am slowly starting my training. My friend told me about this "Couch to 5K" program she followed from the Internet when she wanted to run a 5K. I looked it up and it sounded pretty slow and gradual, which is what I figure I need, so I downloaded the podcasts to help me along and did my first little session this morning on our new treadmill. It is a 9 week training program -- starts out with more walking than running but gradually builds up to solid running. I still have to figure out how and where I'm going to train for the swimming and biking part, but there's time for that.

Iron-Girl, here we come!

8 comments:

Amy said...

Yay! Now you really are committed to doing it! :) I am so proud of you. You are NOT nuts and you are going to do great! And you will feel so good after you do it! I have to say, I'm quite nervous myself because of the whole baby factor...but we can do this! (And it is going to be FUN!)

Anonymous said...

WOW! That is amazing, Gayle! :] You are such a great mom!

Julie said...

Good Luck! I have always wanted to do a triathlon! Maybe one day when I get back in shape after this baby comes! Or not...my commitment level isn't quite as high as yours! =)

Emily said...

Let me be the first to say "good for you!" Honestly, I hate that comment. I want to run with you. Let's do a 5 K this year. I need the motivation!

Melissa Oman said...

That is so awesome!! Good luck!

Sandra said...

Way to go! I need to get started with that myself!

Ridd Rants & Raves said...

Good luck, Gayle! You can do it! I've been training to do the tri in The Woodlands in May. It's been pretty crazy, but hopefully I'll cross the finish line! I like that Couch to 5K - I have some tri training from a friend, that I can send you if you'd like. It breaks down training between bike/swimming/running. :)

Teresa said...

Good for you Gayle! That sounds awesome. I need to find some inspiration to do something like that someday.