Tuesday, August 4, 2009

New Specs

Hannah has joined the eyeglasses club in our family!

I didn't realize how bad her vision was until our vacation this summer. She's never said anything about having trouble reading the board at school or anything. We were attending church in Frisco, CO and sitting at the back. I asked her to tell me what the hymn numbers were (off the board at the front of the chapel). She said she couldn't read them (Courtney could read them just fine). McKay handed her his glasses and then she could read them! So we started asking her to read other signs while we were driving around that we thought she should be able to read, but she couldn't.

I took her in for an eye check-up after we got home and sure enough, she needs glasses. Her vision was 20/80 in one eye and 20/100 in the other eye (much worse than McKay's were when he got his glasses). She was so excited to pick out some frames (red ones) and they were even able to get the lenses put in while we waited.


Now I'm just having to remind her to wear them! We only have one pair so I'm crossing my fingers they don't get lost or broken.

I must admit I'm having a harder time getting used to Hannah wearing glasses than I did with McKay. I immediately thought McKay's glasses suited him and his personality. I think Hannah's glasses look fine, I just miss having a clear shot of her big beautiful eyes all the time. (I know, I'm being a little vain about it...) She is so thrilled with how much better the world looks to her now!

2 comments:

noelle said...

ohhhh, gayle! your post made me smile. when she's 13 you can get her contacts. :) she looks adorable with her glasses, though! pretty, pretty girl.

Sandra said...

Kelsey just got contacts yesterday! The biggest thing for her when she got them, and she was younger than Hannah, was recess....so just tell her to be careful!