Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Thanksgiving Part II - The Farm

The kids love going to Grandma and Grandpa's house in Wyoming because there are always lots of fun animals to see. Plus the kids usually get to help feed them or take care of them in some way, which they love to do! (If only they were so enthusiastic about doing chores at home...) You'll notice from my pictures, that one kid in particular was especially fond of the animals.

There are pigs...


and horses (new this year!)...



and especially, chickens...


Brian's sister and her husband (who live next door) have a chicken coop and collect the eggs to sell at a local market. While all the kids were excited to see the chickens, Courtney was the one who BEGGED every day to go out and collect the eggs.


Courtney absolutely loved this job and was not afraid of the chickens at all!


I thought they were a little annoying, because every time you walked into the coop they would all swarm over to you and peck at your shoelaces the entire time.


Courtney loved collecting a bucketful of eggs -- she'd reach right in underneath the chickens if she had too.

And then she'd want me to boil one for her so she could eat it!


We love the farm!


P.S. Brian's sister and her husband also started out raising 4 turkeys this year that were to be for our Thanksgiving dinner. Sadly, however, none of the turkeys lasted long enough. I think a couple got sick and died and the last two were killed by some other animal just a couple of weeks earlier.

1 comment:

Ashley said...

Nothing better than fresh eggs straight from the chicken coop. I miss that chore that we had when Jaren and I first got married. It was our job to collect eggs every Monday. If I EVER get the chance someday, I will have chickens!