Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Thanksgiving Trek - Part I

Wow, I'm really getting behind in the blogging lately. I didn't have access to our Thanksgiving pictures right away and then with recovering from the trip and getting into December and Christmas decorations and other projects... Excuses, excuses. So here we go!

We decided to make the trek to Star Valley this year for Thanksgiving. Most of Brian's family was going to be there and it had been a while since we visited. We also decided to take our truck so we could bring back some wheat Brian's parents harvested this year. (More on the wheat later.) We knew we were in for a long drive with everybody squished in the truck, so even though we live 10 hours closer than we used to, we thought it better to break up the trip.

Fortunately, my sister Amy lives almost exactly halfway between here and Star Valley (in the Denver area). So we invaded her home for a night (thanks, Amy & Greg!) and the kids had fun sleeping in the family room.


We also loved seeing cousin Emma and how cute and big she is getting!

We arrived in Star Valley on Sunday evening (we pulled the kids out of school for a couple of days). The mountains there are always so breathtaking!


The kids were disappointed there wasn't any snow at Grandma's house this year. But it was still plenty cold!



However, the cold didn't deter the kids from doing things like jumping on the trampoline.


Or swinging on the backyard rope swing.



We spent the week just relaxing and visiting with the family. Brian helped with the wheat and worked on a couple of other projects. A lot of the family went to see the movie "Twilight" one evening (I volunteered to be the babysitter since I hadn't read the book yet and didn't want to see the movie first.) Brian's sisters (who are great quilters and are working on converting me) brought an easy quilt project to work on. I needed a lot of hand-holding, but I got mine finished!


McKay liked helping split a bit pile of wood for the stove.



And of course he took any chance he could to hop on the 4-wheeler.


Thanksgiving dinner brought over 30 people!

Lots of good food and visiting.


We're thankful that Brian's parents are always such gracious hosts. I know it can't be easy to have that many people in your house for several days and all those kids running around playing hide-and-seek, but they are great about it.

We took two days to drive home as well, this time staying at a hotel in Denver (as my sister was out of town by then). The last day or our drive, we hit some pretty slick roads in the Denver area, but we finally made our way out of the stormy weather back home!

More Thanksgiving pictures coming soon...


1 comment:

Unknown said...

It sounds like you guys had a great time. We need to come and visit you guys sometime soon, but who knows when that will be. I looked to see how far Amarillo is from Cedar and it is alittle over 13 hours.