Thursday, October 22, 2009

Lift Up Your Voice and Sing

Last Sunday was our Primary Sacrament Meeting program at church. I have been thinking about it a lot since then, so I thought I'd just share a bit. I've been serving in Primary pretty much since we moved here (over a year ago), but in August, I was called to serve as the Primary President. I absolutely love Primary and am so grateful for the chance I have to work with these kids. This new calling has been a bit overwhelming at times and not without challenges, but I love it.

The theme for Primary this year is "My Eternal Family." Since we have a relatively small Primary (just under 50 kids), every child got a speaking part in the program (except for our little Sunbeams who got to sing a song together). McKay even had a couple of different speaking parts. Hannah, Courtney and Hayley all memorized theirs (and Hannah and Courtney had fairly long ones) -- and they all spoke loud and clear and made me so proud. All of the kids did great! (But note for next year -- the Spanish translator wished he had a copy of the program to make his translating easier!)


Leading up to the program, I was a little worried about a couple of the songs, but as usual, the kids came through fabulously! It just warmed my soul to hear them sing their hearts out.

The first song in our program was one of the new ones we learned this year. It is called "The Family is of God." It has four verses and lots of words to get in (one of the songs I was worried about!) so by the time we had practiced it and practiced the kids knew that chorus. While they might have missed a word here or there in the middle verses, they came in loud and strong on the chorus. It has been in my head all week.

God gave us families
To help us become what he wants us to be.
This is how He shares His love,
For the family is of God.

(If you want to hear it, click here and then click on the MP3 Music & Voice icon for "The Family is of God")

I love the simple truths that are in Primary songs. I love the simple and sincere testimonies that come from the hearts of these little ones. I am so grateful to have four choice spirits in my own eternal family. Many days I feel discouraged and lacking in my abilities as a mother and panicked about the things I'm not doing or teaching that I should be. But when I hear their little voices singing out these words, I know that I'm doing what Heavenly Father wants me to do, even if I'm not doing it perfectly. I love my eternal family!

3 comments:

Ashley said...

Our Family absolutely LOVES that song! It gives me chills every time the children sing it. Which is a lot, as I teach CTR 6! Yeah for primary!

Emily said...

It's been in my head for the past couple weeks. Every time I feel overwhelmed by the family responsibilities the chorus pops into my head reminding me that they are all helping me become what He wants me to be. I'm more grateful for the hard times when put into that context. I sure am going to be great someday!

Sandra said...

Our ward's program was today, and they did sing that chorus so well! It was Kent's last one, which he was very happy about! :)