Sunday, May 18, 2008

Break Out the Boxes

It's time to start packing! Or trying to pack at least. I've decided it's hard to pack when you're not moving for a few more weeks because you still need a lot of your stuff. So I've been packing what I can and hoping that I don't end up needing anything that finds its way into a box. (For example, today I packed up all my craft stuff -- ribbon scraps, yarn, construction paper, etc. -- and I'm crossing my fingers that we don't have a school project come up that requires any of it!)

This afternoon, Brian got up in the attic to get down the boxes we have stored up there and anything else that needs to come down. The kids always want to go up in the attic when he's up there ("just for a quick peek," as Hannah says).


We brought down a bunch of computer and monitor boxes...

...then had the kids help carry them downstairs and out of the way for now.



This scene reminded me of when we moved four years ago into this house (from another house just a couple of miles away). At that time, we saved about any box that found its way to our house up in the attic (just to have a variety of sizes when you needed to mail something), so they all got tossed down from the attic into the hallway and made a great pile of fun for the kids!

Look how little Courtney is in this picture!

The big difference between that move and this one is that back then, we were just moving across town, so we could make several trips in the van with small or awkward stuff and then just bring the big stuff in the van. This time we're moving far away (and not using a moving company), so we have to fit everything in at once. That means I have to pack well! (Definitely one of Brian's strong points ... not so sure about me!)

3 comments:

goldmania said...

Oh, we just got done moving, yuck!! I already feel bad for you Sounds like your kids think it's exciting and will help though. Don't know if that's good or bad. JK :) Best of luck!

Ashley said...

You actually kept your boxes! When we moved in last year, there was a family in the ward moving out...they got all of ours! I was in no way thrilled about storing cardboard boxes. Cute pics with the kids.

Amy said...

Oh, I don't envy you one bit. I remember well the stress of knowing you HAVE to fit everything into that truck (although of course we ended up renting a trailer because we couldn't fit it all in the truck!). Those moving days were not the least bit fun (especially since I was so pregnant). I hope it all goes smoothly for you - just keep reminding yourself that the stress is only temporary!