Sunday, December 14, 2008

Fire and Ice

Okay, so it was more snow than ice, but the title just didn't work as well that way. :-)

We saw our first snowfall here in Amarillo this past week. I don't know how much snow we'll see this winter, but the kids were excited to see even a little bit! We probably only got 1-2 inches.


The roads got a little icy (we heard about a big pile-up on the freeway just outside of town) and I had to grab a spatula to scrape the windshield off, but we survived. :-) I have since bought an official windshield scraper and my wonderful husband cleared out the garage so I could park the van there and not have to scrape it so much.

The weather is definitely a little colder than we're all used to --especially when that cold wind blows (it feelsl ike it will blow right through to your bones). Brian built our very first fire in the fireplace the other night. We had a fireplace in The Woodlands, but never once built an actual fire. We made some hot chocolate to sip and the kids thought it was so great. They've asked every night for another fire and hot chocolate.


Tonight is looking like it will be our coldest night yet -- it's about 11 degrees outside right now and is supposed to get down to about 8 degrees. Yikes! We'll see how well our house keeps warm!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I know about the cold, but I don't think it is that cold outside right now, but who knows. Yes, I am glad I made it home safely last night and I hate driving in the snow, it sucks. I hope you guys will survive this winter and it won't be to bad for you.

Betsy said...

My kids are the same. Every night that is even slightly cold, they want the fire and hot chocolate. It is so cozy.

The pictures of you and your family are great. I too am constantly working at improving my shooting capabilities. It's fun.

Ashley said...

Us Southeast Texans are gearing up for a COLD Christmas in Washington...temp. reaching below O degrees. That's cold!!!

noelle said...

11 degrees! down to 8?!?!? what would i do... i get frigid when it gets below 75. i'm a wimp. houston changed me.

jowo said...

Gayle, you're really doing a great job w/ your photography! Congrats!