Thursday, May 21, 2009

How Does Your Garden Grow?

OK, I admit it. I'm apprehensive, overwhelmed, insecure and yes - even scared - at the very idea: growing a garden.

I know, I know, it's silly. So many of you grow gardens and have for years and enjoy reaping the fruits of your labors. I can't explain this phobia of mine. I guess I just feel so entirely clueless about the whole thing.

But this year I was determined to try. As I keep telling my family, there are no guarantees that we will get anything out of this garden. But I will try. I decided to follow my sister's lead in using the Square Foot Gardening method. I bought the book. I read parts of the book. I felt overwhelmed (again). I procrastinated. But by golly, I am going to try! So I bought the ingredients for the soil mix (still not sure if I figured it out correctly or bought the right stuff). And Brian shored up the existing box in the yard (larger than what is recommended, but we'll go with it).


And we drilled some holes and strung some pink string to mark our squares off.


And I have some good helpers who made me cute little stick markers.



And we planted some seeds around the edges and bought some tomato plants.


And we water and we wait. And we hope the bunnies and critters stay away (until we can figure out how to keep them away). And we notice the tomato plants aren't looking so great. Hmmm. But we do finally have a few tiny sprouts poking up here and there.


And now we have a garden! Whether or not we actually get to eat anything from this garden remains to be seen. I am hopeful, even if I am clueless. At any rate, it should prove to be a learning experience!

3 comments:

Julie said...

your garden is way cute! I think it's way fun growing things...even if some stuff ends up not growing you always end up learning something.

Sandra said...

That's great! We had tomato plants in our Provo house, and they turned out okay, but only because Victor's mom took care of them! I kill everything! Kudos to you for trying!!

Betsy said...

Good luck to you Gayle! I have two big tomato plants with dozens of tomatoes, but not one has been edible yet, because slugs or something oozes in and leave black nasty holes.

Then there are the strawberries. Every single one that is just about to be ready...plucked by a squirrel a day before we get to pick it!

I think I give up. If you figure out anything for grubs and squirrels let me know!

I never had these problems in Ohio.