Monday, October 12, 2009

Books and More Books

A while ago I finally decided I needed to start a "TBR" list -- you know, books "to be read" someday. When I heard about a good book, I didn't want to forget it the next time I was looking for books to put on hold at the library. So I made a list of a few books. Then I started to read a little more, and got some more recommendations, and found some book review blogs with tastes similar to mine, and now I think my TBR list is out of control. I don't think I'll ever catch up, but at least I should always have something to read!

Sometimes I'm still surprised with this new reading hobby of mine. I have certainly not always been an avid reader. It's not that I hated reading -- it's just something I rarely made time for. Even throughout all those years before the kids came along, I hardly ever read for fun. And then after the kids came, I used to always ask people, "How in the world do you have any time for reading?" I read a book here or there -- I finally started Harry Potter after the 4th or 5th book was released -- but it was definitely not something I'd consider one of my hobbies.

Fast forward to about a year ago -- my friend Emily had been trying to convince me to participate in the small Relief Society book club. I finally did (see my post here), and the rest, I guess, is history! Now I find that I cannot get enough of these books and stories. And I find that, as with so many things, I can make the time for it if I really want to!

I was thinking the other day about some of the odd little tidbits I've noticed about myself and my reading -- my "confessions" as a reader:
  • I have a bad habit of skipping ahead in the story -- sometimes all the way to the ending! I'm trying hard to stop doing this so I don't always ruin all the surprises for myself, but sometimes I just can't help it. I notice it most often when I am in the middle of a very engaging, suspenseful story that I need to put down for the moment, but I just have to know what's going to happen, so I'll skip ahead a bit to see if I can find out if everything works out okay. Bad habit, I know.
  • I hardly ever sit and curl up on the couch or lay in bed to read. For some reason, this makes me feel more guilty about all the things I'm currently not doing. Instead, you will probably find me reading standing at my kitchen island counter or once in a while sitting at the kitchen table. (Plus, it's easier to appear like I'm being productive when somebody walks in on me.)

  • (This is a really bad picture, but all I had!)

  • I tend to learn towards young adult (YA) and even middle-grade books (they're usually "cleaner" and they tell fun stories) -- especially fantasy and fairy tales. I also tend to lean towards what could probably be called "fluff" books -- they are quick, easy reads that I enjoy. But I'm trying to incorporate more books with "substance."

  • As soon as I'm finished with a book, I immediately go back and re-read my favorite parts. (And yes, I admit it -- often these parts are the sweet romantic moments...) I usually do this repeatedly for as long as the book is sitting on my counter!

  • I can read fast and frequently finish books in a day. (Not that much else gets done on those days...)

  • It seems like I always have a book or two "on hold" at the library waiting to be picked up (sometimes they're books for me and sometimes they're for the kids). I love the library and most of the librarians know us by name now! (I just wish sometimes there was a larger circulation, but it's still great!)
I'm still working on balancing all these books with the rest of my life -- some days I do better at that than others (as my family will tell you). But I'm also excited to have some fun stories to look forward to reading! So if you have a favorite or two to add to my list, I'd love to hear about them. (One of the book review blogs I recently found and really like is this one.)

And I'll end by sharing just a few that I've read recently that have been added to my favorites:


The Blue Sword by Robin McKinley

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins (second book of The Hunger Games)

Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine


Happy reading!

4 comments:

Ashley said...

My family hates it when I get into a good book because I AM a "curl up and read" kind of person. I literally disappear when I'm in the middle of a good one. I can't stand the "wait time" that happens when you read on and off at your leisure. But, I haven't been into a GOOD book in such a long time so I haven't "disappeared" in a while.

Anonymous said...

You should consider using Goodreads, it is a website where you can have friends like facebook but it is for readers. I like that I can have as many lists of books as I need (read, currently reading, to read, etc.) and if I see a book review or a book on a friends list that I want to read I just click on it to put it on my list! One I read recently is "The Glass Castle," loved it! by the way it is April Holmes Sagala --knew you in college!

goldmania said...

You never cease to amaze me with all the fun and creative things you do. You are really a 'supermom'. Glad you still get some nice time to yourself to read. :)

Marianne said...

I know exactly what you mean. Why is there not more time to spend reading in a day? I manage to get plenty of it done, though, too. I loved catching fire! Have you read Eragon? How about Shannon Hale's books? They're kind of hard to get out of Utah (at least they were in Omaha). Anyways, happy readying!