One thing I'm not is an interior decorator. I have always had a hard time when it comes to choosing paint colors (or even painting, for that matter!), knowing what furniture or accessories will look good in a room, etc. So it is a great challenge for me to tackle the kid's bedrooms this summer!
We decided that it's time for McKay to move into his own bedroom and put Hannah and Courtney together in the bunkbeds. Since the girls will be together, I want to make their room more of a girl's room. Right now, it has a primary blue half wall with soccer balls stenciled along the edge (from the previous owner of the house). The walls really need to be patched up (lots of holes), so we figured now is the time to fix and paint!
I started with their new bedding. We found this set at Target and they both were excited about it (they like purple these days):
We ordered two of those (the comforter is reversible so they can choose which side they want up) and also ordered McKay some new bedding for the full-size bed he'll get:

He was also excited about this bedding set, although we had to order him separate flannel sheets (navy) because he has become quite "addicted" to his flannel sheets and claims he cannot sleep well on anything else (we'll see how vacation goes!).
Next, I've been trying to decide what to do with the walls. I think I found a wallpaper border I like and will order:
Then I will probably paint the lower half of the wall purple and possibly paint the upper half (not sure about that yet) -- maybe green or pink? I also have a vinyl wall "rubbing" from a friend who just moved away and had a little business doing these custom letterings. She put one up for me in Hayley's room that is really cute. The one I'm saving for the girl's room has pink lettering and says "A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes" so the paint color needs to be one that will let the pink lettering show on top of it.
We want to get the rooms switched before school starts the end of August, so that means as soon as we get back from our vacation, we need to get busy or the summer will be gone! I also have to decide what furniture to get (McKay will need a dresser and I want to put a bigger bookcase in the girl's room, among other things). I hope it all comes together! (I need to see if I can recruit Julie to come down one weekend and help me -- she has much more talent in this area than I do!)
No comments:
Post a Comment