Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Cadillac Ranch

After our school registration this morning, we drove back towards town on I-40 and went past "Cadillac Ranch." This art exhibit (if you can call it that) can be seen from the eastbound freeway (on the south side). We've driven past before and since I had my camera with me, we decided to stop for a closer look.

You can get to the "ranch" from a frontage road, which has plenty of shoulder space for parking. There are ten cadillacs buried nose-first in the ground (the angle has something to do with some pyramids in Egypt).


It was created in the 1970's by Stanley Marsh 3 (I read that he prefers the "3" over "III"). From what I have learned of him, he is a rather eccentric man with a lot of money. He is the one behind all the crazy "mock" street signs throughout the city and also a bizarre "floating mesa" that we drive past on our way to the school.


Anyway, one of the big things about Cadillac Ranch is the graffiti aspect. The cars are continously painted over and no one seems to mind (at this point, I imagine it is rather just accepted and part of the exhibit). While we were there, some people were working on one of the cars. I would guess your art work doesn't last long, however!



One other interesting note about our stop there. You can see in this picture that the girls are huddled over something at the far car.

They uncovered some newborn baby critter that was only an inch or two long and all red and squirming around on the hot ground. Looking at some pictures later, I'm pretty sure it was a newborn rat. They thought it was just so "cute" and wanted to bring it home, but personally, I didn't find it at all endearing and did my best to keep them from touching it. My main reaction was something like "blech!"

Overall, a very unique place to stop and see!

1 comment:

noelle said...

muy interesante! but yeckkk!!! a newborn rat???? that just gives me goose bumps typing that out... shuddering.