Monday, July 2, 2007

Drip, Drop



It's raining, again. (The picture above is an attempt at getting the raindrops falling on our back patio.) We have had so much rain lately. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. It means we don't have to worry about sprinklers for the lawn. It seems to help keep the temperatures down a little. But it makes it harder to do other things, like get the trash can out in the morning (seriously, it was like inches of mud this morning!) or mow the lawn or go swimming. The kids are supposed to start swimming lessons again tomorrow (all 4 of them this time!) so hopefully the rain will cooperate. Usually the rain comes in the afternoon, but this morning a pretty strong storm came through just as we were all getting up.

With our luck, the rain will quit just when we leave on vacation next week so our lawn will be practically dead by the time we come home 2 1/2 weeks later. That usually seems to happen to us -- no rain at all while we're gone so the lawn dies. Since we don't have automatic sprinklers, it's hard to get someone else to come water it by moving sprinklers all over.

I can't believe that we're leaving next week! I've got to start making my lists and thinking about what needs to be done before then.

While I was upstairs today, I looked out the window and noticed a crane in the drainage ditch area behind our house. I've seen cranes out there before -- they are so pretty when they fly with their big, white wings. There is quite a bit of water in the ditch area right now from all the rain. I decided to try taking a picture of the crane. I had to take it through the window and couldn't get as close as I would have liked, but it didn't turn out too bad. (I thought it was cool that you can see its reflection in the water.)



Right after I snapped this picture, Courtney, Hayley and I saw the crane dive down quickly into the water and come up with some sort of big worm, or snake or something? I couldn't tell exactly what it was eating, but it didn't really look like a fish. It was black and looked too big to be a worm, so my best guess would be a snake of some kind. This is as good of a picture as I could get of it eating:


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gayle,
I really like reading your "blog". (Where on earth did that term originate?) You are a skilled writer and a good photographer, and I enjoy reading about my grandchildren, and seeing their photos. Question. For reading over several days, is there an option to flip the order of the entries so that instead of being in reverse chronological order (which is, I'm sure, most convenient for you as you do your entries) they appear in chronological order? Just wondering.
Dad