Saturday, September 20, 2008

French Braid Girls

All three of the girls have told me recently that they want to grow their hair long, "like Audrey's." Audrey is their new friend in our ward -- she is in Kindergarten too like Courtney and her family lives quite close to us so we've done lots of stuff together and the kids ride the bus together, etc. Audrey has beautiful long hair and her mom, Emily, puts it in French braids frequently. (Audrey is the only girl in her family -- she has 5 brothers!)

This is cute Audrey from earlier this summer:


I told Emily she needs to teach me how to French braid so I can try some different things with my girl's hair. I know the basic concept of French braiding, but I've never been very good at it. I suppose one of the biggest keys is lots of practice! (And hoping you have girls with tough heads of hair that don't scream and cry at the slightest pull -- unfortunately my girls have not shown this tendency yet!)

This past week Emily had the chance to French braid all 3 of the girl's hair for me. First up was Hayely, who stayed at their house on Monday for a bit while I was volunteering at the school.



Then on Wednesday it was Courtney's turn, when she went over to play with Audrey after school (and while her brother and McKay were at Cub Scouts together).




Tonight it was Hannah's turn while we were over at their house watching the BYU football game.




I think they all look so cute! The biggest challenge is going to be getting them to sit through a few hair tugs and pulls while I practice. I know they will sit better for someone else fixing their hair than when it's mom! Emily told me that Hannah's hair was the easiest of the three to braid. Courtney's is almost too short still and while Hayley's hair is thick, it's so straight that it's almost slippery (at least it seems that way).

I don't know if my braiding will ever look this good, but hopefully I can get some practice!

2 comments:

Amy said...

Once upon a time I could "sort of" french braid... but I was never very good, and I don't think I can even remember how to do it now. Somebody is going to need to teach me, because I really want to be able to do it... though it will be quite awhile before Emma has enough hair to french braid! (It is going to be awhile before she has enough hair for me to do anything with!)

Unknown said...

All your girls look really cute with their hair french braided. I really think Haley looks adorable and all grow up with her hair like that.