This morning I borrowed some keys and went to the church to check out the organ. I wanted to make sure I knew where all the buttons, etc. were before my debut on Sunday. I know, you can't wait either, can you? I even took my camera along so I could practice a few "still life" shots, but indoor lighting was challenging, as usual.
Hayley tagged along and had fun exploring the choir seats. I couldn't get the organ to turn on at first, so I was a little worried I had already broken it or something. (The last time I was asked to substitute on the organ in The Woodlands, something was wrong with it and everytime I played any key, another note played continuosly played the entire time -- needless to say, I played the piano that day and never did hear what was wrong with the organ...) Then I discovered a little power switch on the floor behind the organ -- voila! Power!
I think this is the first church organ I've played with actual stops that you pull out and push in -- all the other organs (gee, that sounds like there have been SO many --haha) just have buttons/switches along the top.
As with most organs, this one has preset buttons underneath the keys. I tried them out and think I decided which ones I'll use for prelude vs. singing hymns. It was kind of cool to see all the stops go in and out instantly with just one push of a preset button.
I even gave the pedals a brief try, but soon remembered that pedals and tennis shoes just don't mix. :-)
But the highlight of my exploration mission was the discovery of a single key labeled "Bass Coupler." Actually, someone had told me about this key, I just needed to find it and test it out. If you're not familiar with the fabulous Bass Coupler, let's just say that it lets you off the hook for pedals! Whatever you play in the bass with your left hand on the keyboard sounds just like you were playing it with your feet on the pedals. Woohoo!
Not that I am against pedals. I enjoyed the organ class I took at BYU a long time ago and learning how to play pedals. I even have custom-made organ shoes just for playing pedals. But I know that I do not have enough organ experience to play pedals effortlessly. Even if I practice and practice the pedals for a certain hymn, I will still probably mess them up when it comes congregation singing time. And playing pedals makes me extra nervous. So while it would be good for me to practice pedals, I am one happy camper with the Bass Coupler!
3 comments:
Couplers (of many combinations) are very much our friends! Yay for obscuring what the congregation can't see...
I'll have to remember that. I'm subbing for our ward organist 2 Sundays in October.
You are so talented and awesome! The organ looks so intimidating, its really neat that you can play it!
Post a Comment