What a crazy day. I still think I might cry.
Last night as we were getting ready for bed, we heard the wind start to pick up outside. Wind is nothing new around here. It seems like it is ALWAYS windy, but some days the wind is definitely stronger. Brian even went up into the new section last night to see if things were moving around from the wind (he's been working on adding extra roof supports but they're not quite all in place yet). I woke up a lot during the night to the sound of the wind howling outside.
This morning the wind seemed even worse. I seriously felt like I was going to get knocked over the minute I would step outside. Brian figured we had gusts around 50-60mph today. I was inside keeping busy this morning with cleaning and such when Brian came in and asked if I had seen what was happening to the roof. I looked out the window and saw shingles strewn all over the yard. Uh-oh. Not good. Bad wind.
Brian said the shingles hadn't been down long enough (and it hadn't been hot enough yet) for them to bond to the roof. He said if he had known the wind would be so strong, he would have tried to add extra caulk or roof tar or something. But as it was, we lost a good chunk of shingles, especially off the back section of the house.
He even climbed up on the roof for a bit to try to add some extra nails to keep more from ripping off (and it made me SO nervous to have him up there in the wind).
I don't know how hard it will be to put the roof back together, but put it back together we will. And hopefully before the next storm comes through. It could be worse, I suppose. The wind could have taken the whole thing off. (But I still might cry.)
And the wind isn't all bad. I have some pictures to share from the other project Brian and his dad have been working on the last few days to get some good out of all this wind here. I'll try to write about that tomorrow.
1 comment:
ah! i'm so sorry! all that hard work...
Post a Comment