Monday, March 2, 2009

Risky Business

Just a few days into our remodeling project and it's already turning out to be pretty risky business. I just hope this isn't a sign of things to come...

So this morning the men folk were working on the roof (moving wiring, cleaning up insulation and starting to add the subfloor) and I was back in our bedroom when all of a sudden I heard a tremendous crash. I went to investigate and found Brian standing a little dazed in his office.


Me: Did you do that?

Brian: Yeah.

Me: Did you fall all the way through?

Brian: Yeah.

Me: Are you okay??!

Brian: Yeah.

(He did have several scratches on his hands and forearms, but other than that really seems to okay, thankfully.)

My understanding of what happened is that he was up on the roof standing on a piece of plywood that had been set down to provide some temporary flooring. The plywood slipped off one of the support beams, causing Brian to lose his balance and footing and slide off the board and down through the ceiling. In this picture you can see the tipped board to the left of Brian (just behind the black vent).


He said he was able to hang on briefly with one hand to one of the support beams, before dropping down to the floor of the office (10 foot ceilings!!). Fortunately, there was a spot there on the floor for him where he didn't have to land on top of a desk, computer or printer (although they got plenty of "stuff" dropped on them). What a mess, but I am just so thankful he was not hurt badly. It could have been so much worse.

Later this evening he and his dad were able to get the hole temporarily patched up. For now at least.



Here is another picture of his brother Randy working up on the roof this morning. Randy said he will also be glad when the subfloor is up, and I don't blame him!


If you know any of Brian's stories, you might agree with me that he must be the boy with nine lives. I just hope he hasn't used all of them up by now!

1 comment:

noelle said...

oh my! but hilarious, too. i'm glad he was okay!