Saturday, March 7, 2009

Workin' in the Wind

I suppose when you're building a new roof, wind would be a more desirable weather element than rain to deal with. Yet, it has been SO windy a couple of days this week (today and Thursday) that it is just too dangerous to be up on the roof, so there has been no work done at all. I think the weather forecast reported 30-35 mph winds. (Still, if it was raining, things would be getting wet and damaged, so I'm glad we only have wind and not rain to deal with...)

Yesterday, the weather was perfect, but the work has been slow-going (of course) because there are so many wires and ducts and plumbing stuff that has to be in place before the floor can go down and then the walls can go up. They were hoping to start putting the floor down today, but had to quit working because of the wind.

A few pictures to keep you updated...

Brian and his dad working on the wiring:


Brian's brother and dad putting in a heating/ac vent:


More wires -- and if you know Brian you are not surprised at all to see him neatly tying all the wires together... I love my husband :-)


Saturday morning up on the roof -- Brian's sister Julie came over for a short visit (from Dallas) and McKay (of course) is also up there helping:


McKay took his kite up onto the roof, but it was too windy even for that to work well:


McKay coming down the ladder with his kite and his toolbelt. He loves being in the middle of all the action -- and hopefully he is learning some things too!


Maybe one of the things he is learnig is how not to make holes in the ceiling. He had his turn this morning. He was kneeling on some of the rafters when his knee slipped off and came through the ceiling in the closet of our office. Maybe I should start taking bets as to how many holes we will have to patch in the ceiling before this project is finished.


I tried to get a picture showing how windy it is and this is the best I could do -- these are the old heating ducts that were pulled out and put in our fenced dog run. The wind has blown them up against the fence -- and they would be long gone down the hill if the fence wasn't there!


I'm a little sad that we've had to cancel our Spring Break trip to San Diego and Disneyland because of the slow progress on the roof. We were thinking we would leave next Friday afternoon, but the roof is just not going to be at the point where we could leave by then. Oh well -- we will just have to reschedule for another time!

1 comment:

goldmania said...

Sorry I'm just finally catching up. We've never done a project where we haven't ran into some sort of major problem. How great that you can do it though! It will be so nice when it's done. Keep up the great work. :)