Our friendly neighborhood winged ants are back (again). This afternoon, I came home from taking McKay to the eye doctor (he's finally getting new glasses) and looked out on the back patio to see the swarms of ants EVERYWHERE. They went all around the patio to the side by the kitchen -- they were on the concrete, in the landscaped area, all over the railroad ties (that create a "border" for the landscaping, all over the roof, in the grass, flying all around, EVERYWHERE!
I'm pretty sure this is some kind of mating thing -- and it always seems to happen a few days after it rains. We apparently have a "nest" of these ants somewhere nearby that they are coming out of. The last time we had a big ant problem (4th of July), they were mostly dead when we found them. Today, they were very much alive -- moving all over, so much that you could hear a buzzing sound when you went outside.
Even though I have a big "yuck" factor with these ants, I did venture outside with my zoom lens to try taking some pictures of them along the railroad ties.
Fortunately, I only found a handful inside the house today. I can handle them better when they stay outside. I just keep thinking that surely their mating season is over by now so these swarms will just go away.
2 comments:
Not familiar with those ants. Do they bite like fire ants or are they just a nuisance?? Interesting...
Sorry to hear about that. I'm at my moms and she has also been invaded by tons of yard ants, EVERYWHERE. I swear nothin kills em. Best of luck!
Post a Comment