Friday, July 18, 2008

Decorating!

I've finally made a little progress in the decorating department this past week, especially since Brian's sister Julie has been here to help (she is our fabulous decorator!).

Our dining room table and chairs finally came in and we got them all assembled:


I don't get the see the pretty table too much, however, as we have been keeping it covered with a tablecloth to prevent crayons and markers from making their way onto the table. The girls are constantly coloring and as the tablecloth already shows, they aren't always too careful around the edges. :-) We're hoping to get some barstools for the high counter and some plastic placemats or something (since the counter is tile and makes for a bumpy surface) and try to "train" the girls to sit up there and color.

McKay and Hannah have already complained that they don't like the new chairs -- they say the curved design in the back of the chair feels really weird/uncomfortable to them. Hopefully they'll get used to them!

As part of the dining room decorating process, we moved our black "kid art supply" cabinet out into the family room. Hopefully this will also help encourage the girls to color at the closer counter (once we get barstools) rather than over at the table. Julie helped me figure out what to do with the walls here (in case you're wondering Dad, the door on the far right goes into the kid's bedroom area). And the thing on top with the big antenna is our new weather radio which is supposed to keep us alerted to any tornado warnings or that sort of thing.


Here's a close-up of the wall. We got the vinyl lettering from my friend Lorie before she moved (she also did the lettering design in Hayley's old bedroom if any of you remember that).


Finally, our bedroom! I have been wanting to replace our bedding for awhile now and since the blue didn't really match the paint color in this room, it was a good time to finally get it done! Julie helped me pick some out and was my super seamstress in "stretching" the bedskirt (it wasn't quite wide enough for some reason, so she added a strip of fabric down the middle).


We are also planning to get a headboard (hopefully soon). We saw some pretty metal ones on sale in the Garden Ridge ad, so Julie might grab one for us and bring it up the next time they come (since there isn't a Garden Ridge here).

We ordered a goose down comforter and put it inside a white duvet cover we found at Target. Julie found the white bedskirt on clearance at TJ Maxx. I ordered some white flannel sheets (also a set of sateen sheets which haven't come yet). Julie also found the little pink pillow to add a touch of color. I am so excited to try it out tonight -- it looks so comfy and cozy!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You and Julie have done a wonderful job with the decorating. I really like that saying you have and it goes great next to where the kids picture frame is. Also, I really like the paint color you have on that wall too. What color is it? The walls in are house are all white, well I like white walls, that is all I have had, but lately I want different color walls, but maybe the next house there will be more color than white. Anyway, you did a great job.