McKay was recently accepted to be part of the 4th Grade Honor Council at the elementary school. He is pretty excited about it. I didn't even know anything about it until he came home with the paper telling him what his "job" was. Apparently he had to fill out a job resume and application to be considered. The requirements say that members of the Honor Council must have an 85 or better in each class from the previous grading period and a behavior grade of Good or Excellent. Each job lasts for 9 weeks (the same as the grading periods). However, since there was no previous grading period for this 1st 9 weeks, it says those jobs are based on teacher nominations.
The Honor Council jobs include things like:
Before and After school flag (raise/lower)
Announcements
Walk K and 1st grade to their classes
Get ice for various offices (nurse, lounge, business office, etc.)
Before and After school computers (not sure exactly what they do in the computer room)
Sweep gym floor and wash gym windows twice a week
Help in the office with mail after lunch
Announcements
Walk K and 1st grade to their classes
Get ice for various offices (nurse, lounge, business office, etc.)
Before and After school computers (not sure exactly what they do in the computer room)
Sweep gym floor and wash gym windows twice a week
Help in the office with mail after lunch
On his resume, McKay had to write a few sentences telling about any special skills, training or experience he has had. This is what he wrote:
I have been to Cub Scouts and know how to fold the flag. I have also learned about computers because my dad has been a computer engineer at HP for 12 years.
Then the kids had to rank the list of jobs according to their preference (from 1-15). These were McKay's top 5:
1. After school computers
2. After school flag
3. Help in the office with mail after lunch
4. Before school computers
5. Walk 1st grade to class
2. After school flag
3. Help in the office with mail after lunch
4. Before school computers
5. Walk 1st grade to class
I thought it was interesting that his #15 (last place) job choice was Announcements. Apparently, this is a very popular job request, because it has a little note that there will be try-outs for all students that list announcements as their #1 pick. Public speaking is just not McKay's thing. :-)
The school counselor assigns the job and oversees everything. McKay got assigned (with another student) to be After School Flag -- take down and fold the Texas flag in front of the school. He gets to leave a few minutes early from his class so he has time to do it before getting on the bus. Like I said, he was really excited about it.
I happened to be at school last week at the end of the day, so I took of few pictures of him doing his job. (He also thinks it's really neat that they get to wear a special Honor Council badge while they are doing their job.)
And since I had my camera that afternoon, I was also able to finally get a picture of McKay with his 4th Grade teacher, Mrs. Crane. She is great and McKay really likes her.
5 comments:
i remember having to do something like that in middle school. I hated it. i always felt like they were making us try out to do job so they didn't have to pay someone to do it. Smart on the schools part! im glad he is excited about it though!
Way to go, McKay!! Go Cub Scouts!!
Wow, is McKay that tall? Or is his teacher a little short?
Yep, he's that tall! He's going to pass me up here pretty quick...
Gayle, I had to catch myself up on your blog as I've missed so many days because we had no electricity. Wow, what fun!!
Post a Comment