So I decided to be a little bit domestic today and try making some homemade bread. I've been wanting to learn how to make bread better since I've never really done it much.
My friend has had the same goal and has been experimenting. She found a recipe she likes with half-white and half-wheat flour. She even let me sample some recently and I thought it was quite good so I got the recipe from her.
The recipe's been sitting on my counter for a couple of weeks now and I finally decided today is the day! I'm going to bake some delicious homemade bread and rolls for dinner! Um, think again.
This is how my bread and rolls turned out:
Not exactly the picture of homemade goodness, are they? The rolls, while not light and fluffy, were edible -- we had them with dinner. I haven't dared taste the bread yet. (If you can't tell from the picture, the bread is only an inch or two tall when it should be several more than that.)
I seriously don't know where I went wrong. It could have been a combination of factors, I suppose. We'll see if I'm brave enough to ever try it again!
6 comments:
I think it is great that you just found time to make the break with your busy kid schedule AND a new dog. =)
Hey, that looks like my bread! :) Have I told you about my attempts at making bread? I tried twice and failed miserably both times. Maybe bread-making just isn't in our genes.
I saw a recipe on tv that is supposedly "easy" - so I may give it a try again. We'll see...
at least your bread isn't concave like the last loaf i tried to turn out of the pan. well. practice makes perfect, eh? :) i wish i had the desire to even try...
I'll take some please! Ummm looks good. I always bake it too long that it just doesn't look pretty.
I think some of it has do with the temp of the yeast and the temp. of the room when it is rising. If its too hot the yeast will die and if the room is too cold the bread doesn't rise enough. I'm not an expert but those are things I've had problems with.
I LOVE homemade bread, but haven't made it in a while. I always used Dad's recipe, and never had any problems that I remember. I'll have to give it a go and let you know!
You'll have to try again, so you can hopefully figure out what happened!
Post a Comment