Monday, October 20, 2008

Pumpkin Adventures, Part 1

Last Friday, the kids were invited to our neighbor's big Pumpkin Party. I guess they've been doing this party every October for several years. They have it in their barn and I think she told me they get about 200 pumpkins. I think most of the families that came were from their church (I didn't know anyone there besides our neighbors, although the girls recognized a few kids from school).

For reasons to be explained soon in Part 2, McKay was not able to come to the Pumpkin Party (much to his disappointment). So I took the girls and had a busy night carving pumpkins and chasing kids.

After having some hot dogs and snacks, the girls picked out their pumpkins. They had pumpkins all along one wall of the barn and butcher paper taped all over the floor.




They had a bunch of the little pumpkin carving tools, so you just found a spot on the floor and went to work! The girls all drew their own faces on their pumpkins (I think Hayley ended up with 3 or 4 different faces around hers).


We scooped out the insides.


Hannah was able to do most of her own carving.


I ended up carving the faces that the other two girls had drawn. Here they are with their pumpkins!




The girls also discovered the horses outside that they could pat through the fence. They absolutely love horses! (That doesn't mean we are getting one anytime soon. I'm still adjusting to having a dog.)


Then they had all the kids take their pumpkins outside and put them on a little hill with a candle inside (it was dark by this time). This is only a section of the pumpkin hill:


Here are the three cute pumpkins we came home with!



Story to be continued...

1 comment:

Melissa Oman said...

What a good idea!! It sounds like everyone had a lot of fun. The pictures you took of the girls look great! I hope you guys have an awesome Halloween. I can't wait to see your kids in their costumes.