Tuesday, October 28, 2008

What's for Dinner?

I've been in a new recipe mood lately and have several on the menu this week. Tonight's pick: Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas (sorry, I forgot to take a picture!) that I found on a blog, along with a Spanish Rice recipe I got from my cousin-in-law Kris. Plus I threw a bag of tortilla chips on the table for good Mexican measure.

Here's how dinner played out.

15 min. before dinner
McKay: What's for dinner?
Mom: Yummy stuff!
McKay (suspiciously now): What's for dinner?
Mom: Chicken enchiladas and rice -- new recipes -- they'll be good!
McKay, with a frown on his face, proceeds to swipe some crackers from the pantry.
Mom: Please don't eat snacks this close to dinner.
McKay: You KNOW I don't like that.
Mom: You've never even tried it!

Hannah walks in kitchen, surveys the various pots and pans.
Hannah: What's for dinner, Mom?
Mom: Chicken enchiladas and rice, plus tortilla chips.
Hannah looks closer at the pan of enchiladas then comes over and whispers to mom: You know I don't like any of these things, Mom, and I'm really hungry. Can I just have a bowl of oranges on my plate?

Dinner Time
Mom: Who wants to try some chicken enchiladas?
Courtney: ME! And don't forget the stuff on top! (sour cream and diced tomatoes)
Hayley: I will. (Big surprise here!)
No comment from the other two.

End result: Courtney proclaims it is the "best ever" and asks for seconds. Hayley eats one very teeny-tiny bite and decides she doesn't really like it (no surprise here). McKay has a bunch of tortilla chips for dinner. Hannah eats her little cup of mandarin oranges. Mom sighs, but is glad at least one kid ate some of it. Unfortunately, this dinner scenario is all too common at our house. Occasionally, we'll come across something everyone will eat, but I sure wish I had an answer to picky eaters!

Dad and Mom's verdict? We thought it was quite good! The rice didn't turn out quite right, but it was still okay. I'm not sure what I did wrong. I had to leave it simmering for quite a bit longer than the recipe said and it still seemed like some of the rice was a bit "crunchy." It might have been my pot. Kris - do you remember what size tomato sauce can you used? I just put in a small one. And you forgot to mention that the recipe makes a TON! If I make it again, I definitely need to try cutting it in half, at least.

I'll keep on trying new recipes, and I'm sure I'll keep having kids who won't touch 'em.

6 comments:

Amy said...

I am so not looking forward to picky eaters. (Is there any chance I'll just get lucky and my kids will eat everything I put in front of them?) (And Mom, I'm so sorry for any grief I ever caused you with my own picky eating!) Emma has just started getting a tiny bit picky, if you can even call it that. She will usually eat just about anything we give her, but lately there have been some things she is not interested in. Sadly, she seems to be becoming less and less interested in her vegetables... which is VERY sad for me (especially because I have been eating them even when I don't like them so I can set a good example!). For now, she at least loves green beans... so we're eating a LOT of those! Right now I am still amazed that a one-year old can eat as much as she does, so I am thankful I don't have to worry about her not eating enough!

Sandra said...

My kids were very picky eaters when they were younger, but now, they're both pretty good, and basically eat all the time. :) So, maybe they'll grow out of it (although McKay is already almost 10...) Good luck! Kudos to you for trying new recipes!

noelle said...

oh, i love your kids. they have personality! makes me miss them...

jowo said...

Gayle, you may already have the Favorites cookbook that was published a few years back by the Ivory family in SL, but if not you need to get it.Call 801-262-9474, Utah Make-A-Wish Foundation. Almost every recipe is REALLY terrific. Brittany uses it all the time w/ her family. I love it too but don't need to cook as much, although I've become famous from "Natalie's Speedy Rolls". If you do have it then you know how great it is.

Ashley said...

Thankfully I don't have picky eaters (Jaren's pickier than any of us). Although, there are a few that each one absolutely won't eat. Aidan doesn't like hot dogs, Hunter won't eat green beans. That's about as bad as it gets.

Gayle, your recipe sounds delicious! We'd eat it!

Tim said...

Sounds a lot like dinner at our house a lot of nights. All of our kids were great eaters when they were really little, but then grew out of it (Laura still does okay but isn't as good as she was). Tyler is starting to get better at trying new things. Katie will sometimes eat a TON of food one day if its something she likes and then will go several days without eating much at all. They do all enjoy breakfast, though, so I'm not too worried about them starving.