Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Skating in the New Year

For New Year's Eve this year (and FHE!), we decided to take the kids ice skating. Brian's sister Julie and her family had come down, so we headed over to the local seasonal ice rink. (The one right next to the light display that we had gone to see before Christmas.)

All 4 kids wanted to try skating, so I rented skates also and Brian was designated photographer. (A couple of Julie's boys also wanted to go skating.) We also ended up renting 4 skate "walkers" for the kids to use. McKay inititially tried it without a walker, but fell down so much he decided he wanted a walker after all.

Here are Hayley and me out on the ice:


At first, I was holding onto Hayley's walker with her (helped me from not falling down!), but it didn't take her long to push my hands away and insist she go by herself. And off she went!


They didn't have regular skates small enough for her, so her skates were just strap-on skates that had double blades and went over her shoes. It seemed to make it easier for her to stay up. I had a hard time keeping up with her!

Hannah & Courtney also did fairly well. Hannah zipped around pretty fast with her walker. Unfortunately, Brian only got one not-so-great picture of Hannah:


(She did fall a couple of times.)

And Courtney fell several times, but it didn't keep her from trying again. She tried to go as fast as she could!


And finally, here's a picture of McKay with his walker. He complained when he got home about how sore his bum was. :-)


It was a fun New Year's Eve, even if we didn't stick around until midnight. (I left with the girls a little after 8:00pm)

Happy New Year!

2 comments:

Amy said...

Looks like fun! I've never seen those walkers before - that's pretty neat. I've only been ice skating once, and I sure could have used one of those!

Ashley said...

fun times!!! that was alot of fun!!