Sunday, July 20, 2008

Looking for the Light

The subject of my online photography class this week is light, which is the most crucial aspect of photography. So I have really been trying to pay attention to the lighting and am working on getting pictures with good natural light (not having to use the camera's flash).

One of my goals is to take good close-up portraits of the kids that I can hang in the family room in the new black 8x10 frames I just bought. For the most part so far, they've been pretty willing subjects and put up with me and the camera. (We'll see how long that lasts!)

I've tried taking both some inside and outside pictures and am still not sure if I've found "the light." I am learning lots of things, however, like how I can try to "blur" the background and how to change settings on my camera.

So here are a few portraits I've taken recently -- I'd love any opinions as to ones you like or ones you think might be too dark, etc. (I do realize I have a problem with reflections on McKay's glasses, so I've asked my teacher for suggestions on correcting that.)









Any opinions, critiques, suggestions, favorites? (Pretty please?) :-)

3 comments:

Julie said...

Cute portraits! You're inspiring me to pick my camera back up!

I have no idea what time of day you took these, but the best tip I ever got in a photo class was to go in the early morning and late evening, when the sun isn't directly overhead. These are the best times to get more dramatic lighting. One of my photo teachers told me this and it's never failed.

goldmania said...

Pictures 1,2,3 and 9 seem to have the "BEST" lighting but that would be for 'portrait'. I think it's great (all the pictures you're doing). My dream is to do the same thing one day. When I can afford a nice camera. I loved your previous pics too. Great job.

Amy said...

Sorry I can't really offer any critiques - I think they all look really good!