The girls came running inside this morning screaming that there was a snake. We have been told there are rattlesnakes around here, so they know (hopefully) to be careful about snakes and not pick them up like they do the turtles.
We all went out and spotted the snake hiding in a bush off our patio:
It appeared to be about 4 feet long. We didn't know what kind it was so Brian decided to take a shovel to it (sorry if there are any snake lovers out there).
After the poor snake was gone, we put it in a box and tried to figure out what kind it was. Brian even took it down to the apartments to see if anyone there knew. The general consensus was that it was a basic garden snake (I think) and not poisionous. In fact, one of the apartment workers who is from Korea (I think) asked if she could have the snake so she could cook it up to eat! (And yes, she did take it home with her!)
3 comments:
Blah...I hate snakes. I shiver just reading your story! I do have respect for them and I've seen my fair share growing up in Coldspring (I can recall water moccasins and coral snakes mostly). Again--BRRRR...
Looks like a common Garter Snake to me. Very common, and very good snakes to have around, so no need to kill them, just move them away from the house (although they do like to stay around water or damp areas). I'll scan and email you a page from our "North American Wildlife" book which gives a brief description of them. What to look for: 3 stripes, one on back and one on each side.
oh. my. gosh. are you kidding me?!?!?!!? ahhhhh!!!!!!!!! snakes are like my worst nightmare. and that korean lady took it home to EAT!!!!!??????????????!!!!!!!!!!! bleh, bleh bleh!
Post a Comment