Thursday, October 11, 2007

Latch Hook Kids

My kids have suddenly become big fans of latch hook crafts. I used to do latch hook rugs when I was younger (probably 11-12) and so the other day when I was sewing patches on McKay's Cub Scout shirt and Hannah said she wanted to sew, I mentioned latch hook to her as something she might enjoy. She got very excited and so the next time we were at Wal-Mart, she picked out a small kit (unicorn picture) and bought it with her own money.

She couldn't wait to get started and has picked it up quite quickly! The last couple of days, she runs to get it out the minute she gets home from school to work on it for a little bit.



McKay got Hannah to show him how to use the tool and told me he wanted to do one too. So today I picked up the only other kit they had -- a butterfly. When he got home from school, I showed it to him and said we didn't have to keep it (he was going to have to use his own money for it). At first, he said to take it back and he would maybe do one over the summer, but the next thing I knew he had it out and the yarn sorted and got to work:


He said a couple of times how it was so fun and then wondered if it was weird that he liked doing a "girl thing." He said he thought the kids at school would make fun of him if they knew about it. He has always had an interest in sewing and wants to learn more about it. I asked him if that would bother him if other kids made fun of him and he said he didn't think so (but I'm not so sure). I told him maybe we could look for a more "boy" pattern sometime if he finished this one and wanted to do more.

Happy Friday tomorrow!


P.S. HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOM! WE LOVE YOU!

1 comment:

Beth Gold said...

Gayle,
Tell McKay that his Great Grandpa Allen used to make latch hook rugs all the time. He would give them away as presents. I don't know if he gave you one or not, but he made a lot of them over the years - so it is not just a "girl thing".