Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Take a Breath

Whew! I've got a few quiet minutes before I have to go pick up Hayley so I thought I'd try to post an update. What a crazy day yesterday! I felt like I didn't even have time to stop and catch my breath and still left a long list of things undone. Mondays are always busy, but yesterday was especially busy because I had to add a big grocery shopping trip to the mix (with two "helpers"), then a second trip to another grocery store to stock up on some sale items and then there's all the "catch up" from being gone.

So, first, a quick recap of our weekend up in Arlington. We left here Friday morning and got to Julie's about lunchtime. Brian's sister Teresa came over from Sherman with Brian's mom and other sister Jana later that afternoon. Some scenes from Julie's house:

McKay and Uncle John are both always up for a game of Risk (McKay lost):



The kids can't wait to have a turn on the X-Box (our kids feel so deprived because we don't have any video games at home). Here they are playing with cousin Austin:



Courtney holding her newest cousin, baby Olivia (Jana's baby):



Hayley had fun playing with this globe that would play little clips of music. She would start the music, then do her ballet dance around the room. (For some reason, she thinks she needs to close her eyes while she is ballet dancing -- maybe she feels more graceful that way!)




On Saturday, I was able to go with the girls out to Canton for the big craft fair they have every month. I think officially it is called "Trade Days" and it is like a huge swap meet/craft fair mixed together. You can find a bit of everything there, I think. And it was VERY crowded and a little on the hot side, but fun.




We had three cute babies come for the ride (Jana's baby Olivia is in the stroller and Teresa's baby Emilee and Ashley's baby Jack are in the wagon):




I didn't buy an awful lot, but enjoyed looking around. Brian was good to take care of the other kids while I was gone all day.

Yesterday afternoon, Courtney and Hayley were out in the backyard playing when Courtney came in all excited to tell me she had taught Hayley how to pump on the swings. Hayley was doing it a little (she wasn't swinging very high) and Courtney was so proud of herself. (I told Courtney maybe Hayley could teach her how to go potty!)




Then last night for FHE treat, Brian requested these mint cookies we discovered the recipe for a while ago. Somehow I managed to get them made amongst all the craziness. They are so yummy!



Here's the recipe:


ANDES MINT COOKIES

3/4 C. butter or margarine
1 ½ C. brown sugar
2 Tbs. water
2 C. semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 eggs
2 ½ C. flour
1 ¼ tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
Andes mints – they are the little rectangle mints in the green foil wrappers – I found them in the candy aisle and needed two packages

Melt butter, brown sugar and water in a saucepan over medium heat, then add chocolate chips. Stir until completely melted. Cool for 10 minutes. Pour into a mixing bowl. Beat in eggs. Add flour, baking soda and salt. Mix together and chill for about 45 minutes. Roll into balls (about 1-1 ½ inches), flatten slightly and place on cookie sheet (I used my stones). Bake at 350 for 10 minutes.

When cookies come out of the oven, place an Andes mint on top of each cookie and allow to melt for a few minutes. Swirl the melted chocolate like icing (I used the back of a spoon). Remove from cookie sheet and allow to cool.

This morning I've spent a little time getting some training in my new calling. I was called to be the YW Secretary for a new YW Presidency. The president is a friend of mine whose daughter is in Hayley's preschool group. I think I'm destined to be a secretary! But that's okay -- it is a calling I enjoy and I'm looking forward to being in the YW again!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

YUMMY!! i am soo going to make those cookies!!! cant wait!!! yummy its too late tonight but tomorrow!!! :) i know what im going to dream about tonight!!