Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Walk to School

Today was the annual "Walk to School" day that they have every October. By "walk" of course, they mean walk, ride, roll, etc. McKay has been riding his bike already to school, but Hannah has been waiting for today so she could too.

We didn't really get a plan figured out last night, so it was a pretty rushed morning. Brian wasn't able to ride in with Hannah on her bike, and I didn't think I could manage riding my bike because I would have had to pull both Courtney and Hayley in the trailer. McKay didn't want to have to ride with her the whole way ("she's too slow!"). Plus, I didn't know how well Hannah would do riding her new bigger bike with her backpack on and with all the extra people that would be on the bike paths this morning.

What we ended up deciding was that I would drive the girls in the van to a neighborhood closer to the school. (McKay rode his bike by himself as usual.) We parked and got out Hannah’s scooter, Courtney’s bike and the wagon for Hayley. I was worried we would be late because there was a TON of traffic just getting over to that neighborhood. Plus there were lots and lots and lots of people on the pathway!

Hannah took off on her scooter and I couldn’t keep up because of Courtney, the wagon and all the other people. I totally lost sight of Hannah and hadn’t told her where to wait for me. I hoped she remembered that the idea was I would take her scooter and helmet back home with me and she would ride the bus home. We looked around for her at the school and finally she saw us. She had gone and parked her scooter in the bike rack, so she had to go get it back and bring it to me. We barely made it on time!

I was sad when I realized I forgot my camera in the rush this morning so I didn’t get any pictures like I had wanted. Oh well!

1 comment:

Sandra said...

Our "walk to school" day is in September (due to the weather here). But since we walk every day (and it's just across the street!), it's nothing new for us. But a lot of moms walked their kids to school that day!