Yesterday was the dreaded day for the 3 older kids to get updated on their shots. I decided not to tell them until we were in the van and ready to go. I stopped in the driveway briefly and told the kids about why they needed the chicken pox booster and, not suprisingly, Hannah immediately started wailing and McKay got out of the van (but he didn't go far before getting back in). So then I laid out my bribe card -- a trip to McDonald's for ice cream afterward if everyone cooperated. That cheered everyone up immediately. :-)
Hannah calmed down and even started using some logic on herself (from an episode of "Baby Looney Tunes" she's seen before) -- she was telling herself that it was better to just get a little poke than to get really sick. Precisely!
At the doctor's office, we ended up waiting a lot longer than I thought we would for just a "nurse only" appointment. Hannah was telling anyone who would listen all about how she was there for a chicken pox shot and mom said we could get ice cream after, etc. (That girl has no fear about talking to anybody -- the other day she went up to one of the hispanic workers mowing our neighbor's yard and said something to him about the noise was a "nuisance" and she really wanted some peace. I'm hoping he really didn't understand her. :-) )
Finally it was our turn. Hannah had accepted the idea of a shot by now but McKay seemed a little unsure still -- and then he found out he had to get two! Courtney wanted to go first -- she just gave an "Ow, Ow!" and then Hannah did the same (no crying!). McKay tried to sneak out of the room, but then he was a trooper for both his shots and didn't even give an "ow."
While we were waiting, I called home to check the messages and found that there was a house showing scheduled from 6:00-7:00pm. That certainly makes getting dinner interesting. So instead of going to get ice cream right after the appt, we hurried home to clean up the house and find something we could microwave quickly for dinner. We made it out by 6:00 and went to get our ice cream treat at McDonald's. (And Hannah was still trying to tell everyone who walked in the door why she was there.) We got there shortly before a YMCA soccer team arrived for their end-of-the-season party and trophies (I'm guessing 3-4 year olds) so the playland area got really crowded!
I am really proud of how brave everybody was and we're all glad it's over with! (At least until Hayley turnes 4 and McKay has his next check-up...)
1 comment:
You've been tagged for a lemonade meme. Check out my blog to see the rules. (You don't have to do it unless you want to - but I think you should!)
Post a Comment