Saturday, September 22, 2007

Bike Rodeo

What a busy (and hot!) Saturday morning! (At least compared to our usual Saturday mornings.) McKay had a 9:00am baseball game this morning. His team won (although technically they don't keep score). I didn't get any pictures today. I took the video camera this time instead of the regular camera, but it wouldn't turn on so I hope the only problem is the battery needs to be charged. Probably a good thing this game, because McKay never made it on base. He did hit the ball once, but got thrown out at first. It was coach-pitch this game since the pitching machine wasn't working.

We came home from the game and left right away for the Bike Rodeo at the elementary school. The kids really wanted to go. The school district police department runs this event -- they register the kid's bikes and have a few little courses set up for the kids to ride through (weaving through cones, figure 8, practicing hand signals, etc.). Then they have free hot dogs and drinks. And as we learned last year when McKay's bike got stolen, it's a good idea to have bikes registered!

Brian, McKay and Hannah rode their bikes to school (I think it's about a mile there). We thought it would be good practice for Hannah who is always begging to ride her bike to school now that McKay is riding his every day. (But I'm not ready for her to do that just yet.) Then I drove the van with Courtney and Hayley (and Courtney's bike in the back).

Here are the kids lined up for the first riding course (weaving through cones):


And McKay taking his turn (still wearing his baseball uniform!):


Some pics of Hannah and Courtney on their bikes:




Courtney doing the hand signals:


A close-up of McKay:



And when I looked at this picture of Hannah, my first thought was that she looked like a Vulcan from Star Trek with pointy ears:



And finally, here is Hayley (who was sad she couldn't bring her bike -- but it's a tiny one with no brakes and she hasn't learned how to pedal yet) while we were eating our hot dogs (she ate two minus the buns!)



Now we are enjoying a quiet afternoon inside where it is air conditioned. The kids are trying out some "new" old computer games (older games I just bought from the online classifieds), Brian is listening to the BYU football game (we don't get the channel this one is televised on) and Hayley is napping! I need to go practice the piano some more. I am playing the musical number in Sacrament Meeting tomorrow - yikes!

No comments: