Saturday, September 15, 2007

Play Ball!

Today was McKay's first YMCA baseball game of the fall season. He could not wait to get out there and play! He missed the first two practices because of rain, so yesterday was finally his first practice. In the van on the way there, he kept saying things like, "I can't wait to get a bat in my hands."

He has a different coach this season and the coach suggested that the players get gray baseball pants, black belts and black socks to go with their YMCA yellow shirts. It wasn't required, but we decided to get some for McKay so he could feel more like a "real" baseball player. I didn't get any close-up pictures of him at the game today, but I did get a couple of him in action. Here he is playing second base:




And here he is during one of his at-bats:



He hit the ball every time he was at bat today -- he has really improved in hitting since he first started playing. His first hit was a pop-up fly that was caught, but with his other hits he was able to get on base and eventually score a run. He also got a defensive play in tagging a runner when he played second base. He was excited!

It was quite hot and humid at the game (and of course I forgot the sunscreen), but we did take a jug of water that got emptied fairly quickly. Here's Hayley getting ready for a big drink!


McKay was not the only one to have an exciting day. Hannah was excited because she got invited to a last-minute birthday party for her friend Anita (who she knows from church and school). It was to be a pajama party from 6:30-9:00pm. That is past her usual bedtime, but pajamas parties call for an exception. :-)

I don't know how many times she asked me this afternoon if it was time to go the party yet. When I picked her up, she told me how much fun she had doing a "makeover," getting her fingernails painted, going on a treasure hunt for a little hand-sewn skirt for her stuffed animal, etc. When I got her in bed, she said, "It sure has been a big day for me, huh?"

And Hayley had an exciting day because I decided to let her try sleeping in the toddler bed that's in her room:




I've mentioned before how she climbs out of her crib all the time now, so I guess that means it is time to move her out. And we already had the toddler bed in her room (not being used). She was excited to get in it, but not surprinslgy, also got out of it many times before falling asleep. (It's much easier to get out of a little bed than climb out of a crib!) Hopefully she will get used to it. When I went in to check on her, she had a pile of books on the floor next to the bed, plus another pile between her head and the side of the bed --and she didn't start out with any books. :-)

My biggest worry is that this transition is going to disrupt her naps (and she is currently taking good naps almost every day). She told me tonight that tomorrow we are going to "sell the crib". I don't know about that, but we will at least get it taken down before too long. That's going to be kind of weird to not have a crib up anywhere -- it's been up since McKay was born.

We are watching the BYU football game on TV right now -- we realized we actually get one of the channels that a handful of the games are shown on. Brian was able to assemble a couple more pieces of furniture for me today -- a white bookcase for the girl's room and the sewing table that will go in our room. Now the big question is if we can figure out how to actually mount my sewing machine in the table. :-) I think I will end up having to go to a fabric store and trying to find the right mounting hardware for my machine.

Time for me to quit for the night!

No comments: