Saturday, August 18, 2007

Down and Out

I had a few pictures I was going to share from today, but it appears that the laptop in the kitchen (where I transfer pictures) is in need of some first aid. Fortunately, we have a very good resident computer doctor in the house, so he is working on it. (I think he is going to have to replace the hard drive, but he is trying to get a current backup made right now.) The good news is that I just got my computer back upstairs that has been in Brian's "shop" since before our vacation. He upgraded it with lots of stuff so I can work on home video projects and also so it uses a "raid" to guard against losses from any future hard drive failures. (Sorry I can't explain that in better terms!)

I'm very glad to get a faster and better computer and am excited to get back to some home video projects. The worst part about getting a new computer is the time it takes to set everything back up the way you like it -- installing programs, setting up favorites and e-mail contacts, fonts, etc. But it's getting there!

This afternoon (during naptime) I went out for a little bit over to the mall to do some shopping at JC Penney. I had gotten a $10 off coupon in one of their mailers for this weekend and decided to go look for a new dress -- something I've wanted to get for awhile now. This weekend happens to be tax-free weekend in Texas (no sales tax on clothing, shoes, etc.) so it turned out that parking at the mall was a NIGHTMARE! I swear it was worse than the last shopping weekend before Christmas. There was not a parking spot to be found in that huge mall parking lot. I drove up and down a few aisles, but in every aisle there were cars already watching and waiting for someone to leave.

Finally, I saw some empty spots across the main "mall ring road" (that goes around the perimeter of the mall parking lot) at one of the restaurants. So I parked over there, but then I had the daunting task of crossing the mall ring road without any traffic signal or crosswalk (and did I mention how many cars there were?). I was finally able to dart across and make the long hike up to the mall. SO, SO glad I didn't have any kids with me! (I don't think I could have crossed that road with the kids or would even have attempted it.)

The store was plenty crowded as well, and they had lots of sales going on in conjunction with tax-free weekend. I decided that although I like having new clothes for myself, I really do not like shopping for them so much. I don't mind shopping for clothes for the kids, but for some reason, shopping for myself is difficult. I have a hard time knowing what style or color to try, or what pieces might look good together and I usually don't have a lot of time to try on endless combinations. So I get a little frustrated with my style ineptitude (is that the right word?).

I did end up getting two dresses (well, one dress and one that's a matching blouse/skirt). I don't know if I'll keep both of them, but I figured I'd at least let Brian give his opinion and then decide. If I wear one to church tomorrow, I'll try to have somebody take a picture.

That was pretty much the excitement of the day, other than selling a few more things on the on-line classifieds (like our double stroller and some more toys). I figure I should be asking more for our stuff since most of it is selling pretty quickly after I list it, but I also figure getting something for it is better than nothing! Both Hannah and Courtney have each picked out one of their less-used toys to try selling as well (we told them they get the money from selling it).

Tomorrow is my big debut subbing for Sharing Time in Primary. Wish me luck!

No comments: