Monday, August 20, 2007

T-Minus 7 and Counting

Next Monday is the first day of school for McKay & Hannah and they are getting excited. Today we were surprised to get their postcards in the mail telling them who their teachers will be. (My understanding was that the cards were going to be mailed today, not received.) We were on our way home from piano lessons when we stopped at the mailbox, so everyone was in the van. McKay didn't want to look at his card initially -- not sure why he was so nervous, since there isn't necessarily one teacher he did or didn't want to get.

Hannah's teacher is Ms. Eagleton, who is a new teacher to their school this year. I'm sure we'll find out more about her on Thursday when we get to go see the classroom and meet the teacher.

McKay's teacher is Mrs. VanZandt, who he was pretty surprised to get. He tells me she is the "GT" teacher (gifted & talented) and is the only 3rd Grade teacher that doesn't have a "switch teacher." Most of the 3rd grade teachers partner with another teacher so one teaches reading/language arts and the other teaches math/science and they switch kids halfway through the day. Apparently, in past years at least, Mrs. VanZandt keeps her class all day and teaches all subjects.

The kids can take the gifted & talented test starting in 2nd grade, but I decided not to have McKay take it last year. (He is giving me a hard time now for not having him take the test!) McKay's been pretty curious about why he's in her class, so we've been guessing that either she is not going to be the GT teacher this coming year, or someone told us that if there's not a full class of GT kids, they will place other kids in the class. I'm sure we'll find out soon enough!

I took the kids this morning to go look at a used dresser that was for sale (found through the online classifieds, of course!). It was a little bit of a drive and it turned out to be older than I thought (probably from the 50's) so it wasn't in the best condition. The drawers didn't work that great (plus there weren't as many drawers as I initially thought). So we are going to pass on it and probably just end up buying some new ones.

I am getting increasingly frustrated with my little 4 1/2-year-old who is just having major issues with potty training. She had an accident on the couch tonight (she was not wearing any pants at the time because she had wet them earlier and had taken them off). I don't know if it is going to be an issue with her new preschool or not. They have never said the kids have to be potty trained, but I'm sure they expect the 4-year-old class to be. We've tried all kinds of rewards and incentives and discussions and charts and we never seem to get anywhere. She just makes absolutely no effort, despite her constantly telling me that she is going to try. (Yet I know it is not an issue of bladder control because I have seen enough to know that she can do it if she wants to.)

Okay, enough about that! It is time for me to go to bed. No pictures today -- something must be wrong! :-)

No comments: