Friday, August 10, 2007

Hot, Hot, Hot!

Our summer has definitely turned hot and dry this week! The rain seems to have disappeared (that means I need to get out the sprinklers before our lawn whithers away) and the heat is on.

The kids were outside this morning trying out their new bikes when we saw our neighbors and found out they were going swimming, so of course my crew begged to go too. I had been thinking today might a good day for swimming, so we hurried and put together some sandwiches to take for lunch and got ready to go.

Today's pool was Cranebrook, which is a fun and popular (i.e. crowded!) pool because it has a big water playset and a big, fun slide.



The last time we went to this pool, Hannah decided after some initial trepidation to try going down the big slide with me. We went down once and she was fine (the water at the bottom is only a couple of feet so she can easily stand in it). She decided to do it again, but I was trying to help Hayley at the same time and she ended up going under slightly, which she didn't like and refused to go down the slide anymore. Today she decided to give it another try and she definitely overcame her fear!



She spent a good part of our time at the pool going down the slide. Every time I saw her, she was trying some new "pose" -- on her back, hugging her knees, waving her arms, etc. She and Courtney would go down together and link arms and such. She seemed to really be enjoying it.

McKay took Hayley down a few times (she also came down with me a few times), and also went down solo.






Hannah posing for me by the dumping buckets:




Courtney hanging out in her floatie:




The kids by the water playset. The water all around the playset is fairly shallow (2 ft. and under), so Hayley and I spent most of the time just sitting and playing in this water. It is great for her -- she likes to "glide" on her stomach either with a floatie ring or without and play with her little watering can and bucket.



The other fun thing about the playset is that the kids have some control over the water that sprays out everywhere. There are wheels they can turn to decrease or increase certain sprayers or ropes they can pull to dump water or water "guns" they can squirt from up on top. It's a lot of fun! (There is also another area of the pool that is more a "regular" pool for swimming -- just not as big as some of the other Woodlands pools have.)




The kids convinced me to stay a little longer than we usually do (cutting into naptime) and I gave in because it was such a hot day and felt good to be in the water. I noticed this evening that we all have rosy cheeks (should have reapplied the sunscreen) and I definitely have spots on my shoulders and back that didn't get sunscreen on them! (Some spots on my back I just can't reach and my shoulders I was just not very careful with this time.)

Now we need a good thunderstorm to come through and maybe cool things off a little!

No comments: