Thursday, August 30, 2007

Making Progress

A couple of noteworthy items from today. First, Hannah did remember to bring home BOTH her lunch box and her water bottle - yeah! Apparently she and McKay made a deal this morning that he would pay her $1.00 if she brought them both home and she would pay him $1.00 if she forgot. But as they came in the door, they were arguing about some "loophole" McKay was insisting on that negated their deal (something about Hannah taking another boy's drink at lunchtime and how that was doing something "wrong" but Hannah said he just gave her an extra one he didn't want...) Anyway, they both seem to have forgotten all about it.

And secondly, Courtney managed to keep on the same pair of pants and underwear ALL day today! We had her preschool orientation this morning where she got to meet her teacher and see her classroom, etc. and I think (hope!) that maybe the whole "you-have-to-go-potty-at-preschool" repetition did some good once preschool finally came. At bedtime tonight, she even said something to me to the effect that she really planned all along to wait until preschool started (not that I'm really buying that). I'm just very pleased with today's outcome and hoping and praying that it's not just a one day thing. Tomorrow will be the bigger test, I think, where she's not actually going to preschool.

Okay, so maybe those two things aren't anything earth-shattering or even things anybody else really cares about, but they're a big deal around here. Every little step forward is something to celebrate!

I did actually take a few pictures this afternoon as well! Here is my newest little pianist practicing:



She is doing really well and is very excited. I have noticed that she tends to quickly memorize the little pieces and then just look at her hands as she plays them. When I try to remind her to look at the music instead, she gets easily frustrated when she makes mistakes. So we'll keep working at that.

And here are my silly girls playing "Mommy and Babies" or something like that. Hannah of course is the mommy and the other two are the babies. They somehow managed to squeeze Hayley into this little toy shopping cart and you gotta love Hannah's great pose for me. :-)




Finally, since I had taken pictures of the girls I decided to take one of McKay in some of new school clothes. He promptly tried to stop me by telling me he "hated" this new shirt (he wasn't there when I bought it) because it made him "look like a girl". Go figure. I think it's fine, but I seriously doubt I'll get him to wear it again (good thing it was on clearance at Wal-Mart).




Tomorrow, most of the furniture I ordered last week is supposed to be delivered, so I'm really excited! Here is a sneak peak of the chair/ottoman (it is a huge ottoman!):




I think it will look nice in our "music/library" room, especially if we paint it a neutral tan-type color. Plus, it seems really comfy! We're also planning to put a bigger bookcase in that room -- maybe this one:



I also ordered a bigger white bookcase for the girl's bedroom (McKay will get the old one that's currently in the dining room):



Won't that be cute with little baskets in the top cubbies for the girls to keep all their little "stuff"?

And here's the dresser that we got for McKay's room, plus a matching 2-drawer nightstand:




I think I'm going to get him a desk at Target this weekend (I didn't like the matching desk they had at the furniture store). This is the one I'm thinking of -- pretty simple, but hopefully functional. I wish it had bigger drawers on the side, but I think it will work, especially since I ended up getting him the nightstand that has drawers.
The dresser for the girl's most likely won't be included in the delivery tomorrow, but hopefully won't take too much longer. I dont' have a picture of that because it is a new line that isn't on their Web site yet (the store is Ashley Furniture). And, I must be turning into a new-furniture-addict because I also just ordered a little sewing desk/console to keep my sewing machine in our bedroom. As it is now, I have to haul it downstairs to the kitchen table anytime I need to use it, so my little mending jobs tend to pile up. Here's what that looks like:


Let's see, what other furniture do we need??? Actually, I think I've probably used up the furniture budget and then some. :-) Hopefully soon I will have pictures of the "real deal"!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

you go girl!!! :) you deserve it!! it will all look so great!! ~ashley